Indexing directory structures

After much messing around with SQL DBs and table structures, I eventually resorted to writing my own indexing scheme and storing the index in memory for my FS-indexing needs.
Here's how I went about it:

1) Construct a tree out of the FS you're indexing. Each node in the tree needs a reference to its parent, but if you're just using it for this index, it doesn't actually need references to its children.
2) Construct a dictionary of lists of nodes to act as the index. Dictionary> in generics/templates speak.
3) Iterate through each item, and extract terms for that component. Terms are only extracted for the current component, not its parents - "c:\foo\bar" would only have 'bar' as a term.
4) Find the relevant item in the index for each term (or add it, if need be), and add the current node to the list of nodes against that item.

Once you've constructed the index, searching is as follows:
1) Extract the terms for your search query in the same manner as used for path components above
2) Obtain the list from the index for each of these terms. If any of ...

Obsession

For some time now, I've been working, on and off, on a P2P filesharing system, which I've dubbed 'Attercop' (named after the term used for 'spider' used in Old English and LOTR). Simply put, it's a replacement for DC++, designed mostly for LAN environments. It uses multicast, so no central hub is required, and it improves on a number of the most glaring weaknesses in DC++. I'm writing it in C#.NET.

Like most projects I embark on, I started off hugely enthusiastic, spending as much time as I could spare on it. Normally, I'd continue like that until either I get the project completed, or I burn-out on it. Quite frequently, the latter has happened - I've burned out and lost interest, with the project unfinished.

However, since I've been spending all the time I've not been at work with Hayley, I've had very little time for it lately - a lack that's hard to mourn, since I consider time with Hayley much better spent - and I'd begun to lose enthusiasm for the project. I concluded that I was (unfortunately) suffering from the same sort of mid-project disinterest I often ...

Moving In

On Sunday, Hayley's flat had a flat meeting. Hayley wanted to move out of her flat (and into our apartment full-time), and the upshot is: no problem! As soon as she/they can find a replacement flatmate, she's moving in with me full-time! :)